Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Tissue Paper Flowers - Easy Tutorial




I am almost embarrassed to call this a tutorial, as it is so easy and once you begin doing it is so familiar. So maybe it is just a "reminder".




I used about 2 sheets of gift wrapping tissue per flower. Lay one sheet on top of the other and cut the majority of the tissue into squares approximately 6 inches. Then cut squares approximately 3 inches, and lay those on top of the 6 inch squares.




Fold up stacked tissue like an accordian...I think my folds were probably around 3/4". When folded, find the approximate center and cut a "V" on both sides...if your scissors are dull and you can't quite get a "V" a cut in the tissue will do. This notch allows you to tie the flower a little better.




To tie up, use pipe cleaners, floral wire, craft wire, or, as I did, twist ties from loaves of bread. Then open out the "petals" on your flower one by one. Don't you feel like you are in first grade again? Puff, it goes from a pile of tissue paper to a carnation, rose or poppy.




You can decorate your flowers if you wish with a little glitter glue, or glue and glitter, or a bit of market adding color here or there on the edges. Once complete you have options: hotmelt glue on a backing, such as a pin backing or barrette (pin backs and you can put them on hats or curtains), or, if you don't have "stems", add a stem now with wire of some sort. If you have any green felt lying around you can do as I did and cut out "leaves", cut a little snip in them and put the "stem" through the leaves.




For a Mother's Day gift for my daughter I took a recycled parmesan cheese can, threaded the stems through the holes on the top, and wrapped fabric around the can. Presto! I think I'll make some for myself now, as the tulips and jonquils have passed and the lilacs aren't quite open outside.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for this!

Arlene,
Tacoma flowers

Unknown said...

I remember making tissue paper flowers when I was in grade school. We would make them ever Mother's Day. Thanks for reminding me.