Sunday, July 27, 2008

Easy Hummingbird Nectar

Few things lift my heart the way the sound of the hummingbirds coming to my feeder does. The feeder is located about 8 feet from the back door, and when I sit out on the stoop with my coffee the visit of a few hummingbirds is practically a sure thing.

I once suffered under the illusion that many people do that to attract hummingbirds one needed to purchase nectar mix. Not so! Mix 1 part sugar to 4 parts water...I usually do 1/2 cup sugar to 2 cups water. Heat on the stove until the sugar totally disolves, which will happen before the boiling point. Cool. Fill your feeder and store any leftover nectar in the refrigerator.

No, it isn't necessary to add food coloring, it is a myth that hummingbirds are attracted to the red in premade nectar mixes.

No comments: